March 28, 2008

The Comeback Kid.

The last few days I have felt... lighter. Like I can breathe again and everything is going to be just fine. I have had moments of intense joy- usually when I am alone in my car. They are moments that make me drum hard on my steering wheel and press down on the gas and drop my windows. I find myself saying "Yes. Yes. Yes." under my breath in these moments... as if I can't stop agreeing with what is going on inside my heart. And yet, life is... the same. Nothing drastic has changed, except that I am suddenly aware of the fact that God is closer to me than my own skin and that He's the one rooting the loudest from the bleachers of my day-to-day story. Like the parent who never misses a game and even brought their own inflatable "Emery is #1!" cushion to sit on for when they aren't on their feet whooping and hollering in triumph. (Triumph that doesn't falter even when victory seems impossible.)

The outcome is set. Emery wins the game. A comeback victory that will go down in history.

And you've got the same fate! Did you know that? It's true. But sometimes we forget that... or maybe we've never ever been told... or maybe we used to believe it when we were little and the world was softer around the edges...

I think sometimes we just start to focus more on the scoreboard than the joy of the sport. And that's when our feet get tripped up and we forget that the trophy's already sitting in the front seat of our car- just waiting to be brought home and set upon the shelf.

13 comments:

Annie Peterson said...

So encouraging! So, so right; and exuberantly encouraging!! =)

MochaPrincess said...

Encouraging and uplifting!

Anonymous said...

So encouraging!! Thank you Em...I am taking a test today to get into nursing school and these beautiful words hit the spot!

Andrea Terry said...

Hooray! Woohoo!!! Go, Emery :)

anna joy said...

thanks for the reminder- seriously. Its funny, even after a break up situation that you kind of know about from an email, I ran into you know who at church a few days later, (a month ago now) and though it could have been disasterous, God was supernaturally guarding it with his peace. I ended up driving home crying my face off in joy I've never felt. wow. God is so faithful to be found when we seek him with all our hearts. It takes all I have in me to not freak out and dance around all day about his faithfulness. phew.

anna joy said...

p.s. that photo of chris extra confirms to me that i'd like you guys to have a little girl now. thanks, love annajoy.

Hunny Bee said...

I love that part about focusing on the scoreboard instead of playing the game. So right. This was really a helpful reminder to me of what's important. Thanks and glad you're feeling better!

Leanne said...

YAY!! God is so stinkin' amazing. I love that you are doing so well! I can totally picture you in your car pounding on the steering wheel in sheer joy...awesome.

Love the pics of Chris and that cutie pie. ;)

Katy said...

WAHOO!!!! Isn't it amazing how God moves in our lives?!?!?! I just love Him so much! Thank you for your encouraging words!

DTDorrin said...

So wonderful to hear you're feeling lighter! You're such an encouragement--in the down times (when you refuse to give up and instead run harder to Jesus) and in the up times (when you remember you already have the trophy). Thanks for always sharing!

THE WHITTINGTONS said...

we miss your faces and we'd love for you to meet our little man. love to you and yours.

Simon Jooste said...

Hope - Energy - Joy - What a blessing to feel these things again! Praise be to God our Father! I'm so happy for you Emery and thankful for such a quick answer to prayer!

Momo Fali said...

Glad to hear it! I hope you continue on this upswing!