March 7, 2007

Hell in a Handbasket.

Hello, dear Interent. The following is an incoherent rambling of woe-is-me's.

The day of Cameron's wedding, I woke up feeling really nauseous. I had already not been feeling well for a few days before that, but this puking sensation was new. And exciting! (NOT.) After yarfing a couple of times, I struggled to get dressed up all fancy and get Ezra and I to the wedding on time. Ezra's eye was goopy and swollen shut for the most part, and my dress wouldn't stay zipped as I scoured the farmland where the wedding was held for convineint places to puke where I could still keep an eye on my monster-eyed son. Chris had been very busy doing wedding things (as a groomsman, you know...) and I was pretty much on my own trying to care for my sick and fussy son while feeling like death warmed-up myself.

Thank God for Flo and her hubby Josh who saw that I was not doing well (i.e. crying my face off in the back row), and they graciously took Ezra and entertained him for me during the ceremony while I tried not to pass out and vomit. Flo, you are a lifesaver. Thank you thank you thank you.

Needless to say, Ezra and I left early and when we got back to the house we were staying at, I tried to preoccupy him with movies so that I could SLEEP. But for the first time in the history of his existence, movies just weren't going to cut it. Many hours of trying to care for a toddler while being sick ensued...

The next day, Chris was busy again leading worship at a church North of town. He came home around noon to check on us, and found us not doing very well. He called and said he would not be able to make it back up North for the night service, and whisked Ezra and I off to Urgent Care. We made it to the clinic with no time to spare (they closed at 4:00). The doctor was very kind and good at keeping Ezra entertained while he checked out his eyes.

Turns out, I have bronchitis and Ezra has a double eye infection.

We were both put on antibiotics. The nausea I was (am) having is caused by my lungs being swollen and causing waves of burning chest pains just under my breastbone. The burning pains are what cause me to feel sick.

So, we made a quick, last minute decision to drive Ezra and I up to Reno so that I could spend a few days recovering at my parent's house while Chris drove back to Oklahoma. I had to be back in OKC by Saturday because I am singing in another friend's wedding that day. We bought two one-way tickets for Ezra and I to fly back to Oklahoma a week after I got up to Reno, and we hopped in the car at 9:30 PM and left San Luis Obispo for the trek up to Nevada. The trip is 6 hours, and Ezra was having lots of difficulty sleeping in the car. He was thrashing around a lot, and that is when I lifted up his sleeve and saw that he was covered in HIVES. We didn't know if it was from the detergent we'd used at our friend's house in SLO, or that maybe he'd gotten bit by sand fleas while he rolled around in the sand at the beach, or if it was his medication that was causing the outbreak. We're still not really sure.

My antibiotics don't seem to be doing much, which leads me to believe that I may have the viral form of bronchitis- the one you just have to 'ride out'. How long is this 'ride'? I want off.

We arrived in reno at 4:30AM on Monday, and Chris just left this morning to drive back to Oklahoma by himself. He woke up this morning and said he didn't feel well, and as I watched the car pull out of the driveway I felt really sad. I don't like being away from my husband. I don't like being sick. I don't like Ezra having hives. And I don't like flying with a toddler by myself. I just want to be well again. I want to be able to taste food and smell when Ezra has a poopy diaper. (Yes, I would even welcome the smell of poo!) I want to get all the snot out of my head and be back to normal. I want to snuggle with Chris under the blankets.

So, dear internet, I am sorry I am not rainbows and sunshine today. I hope you all are doing better than we are this week.

Sincerely,
The Pukey Snotty Goopy Hivey Clarks.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow girl, sounds like you don't feel so good. I hope you and the little one get better soon. Enjoy the time with your parents and have a safe flight back home.

anna joy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Excellent Parent said...

i am making a sad face for you! It was ncie to see yoU!

misguidedmommy said...

Oh honey I am so sad for you. If there is anything I can do while you are here to help just let me know. When I first started reading I was going to ask if you were pregnant. But nope just a super sicky. I sure hope you and Ezzie get well kiddo.

Flo Paris said...

I am SO sorry for you.
There is nothing worse..NOTHING worse than being sick and taking care of a sick baby. It was an honor to hold Ezra though.
He was the best, most well behaved little boy I have ever seen. Especially for being so sick! And the poor little guy, sick as he was still couldn't hold back the dance moves while they were playing the wedding music. Unbelievable. Amazing, even. It was nice to see you, and I hope you get better!

Cam @ArcadiaTrails said...

Please feel better--all of you!